Over time, exposure to UV rays can cause a number of eye problems including macular degeneration, cataracts, corneal sun burn, age spots and skin cancer around the eyelids. Children are especially at risk, and it is estimated that 50% of lifetime exposure to UV happens before the age of 18. Protect yourself and your kids with the right measures today.
The board-certified optometrists at our family eye care center in Florida have highlighted 10 simple but critical precautions you must educate your family about.
- Do not stare at the sun directly.
- Beware of reflections from the pavement, sand, snow and water.
- Select sunglasses that block both UVA and UVB rays 100% and with a wrap-around style frame. Close-fitting sunglasses help keep the light out.
- Consider wearing UV-blocking contact lenses.
- Keep out of direct sunlight between 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. That is when the sun’s rays are strongest.
- If you work outdoors, are a welder, lighting technician, paint or resin worker, or hairdresser, you must protect your eyes and learn about other ways to avoid UV exposure.
- Keep children younger than 6 months out of direct sunlight.
- Ensure that all kids wear sunglasses and sun hats when outside.
- Use an umbrella or canopy to shield yourself from the sun at the beach or in the backyard.
- If you are experiencing any eye pain, have an inflamed cornea or sensitivity to light; see an optometrist at our family eye care center right away.
Comprehensive optical services from our eye care center
At SeaView Eyecare, we provide comprehensive eye care services for the whole family. State-of-the-art technology in a friendly setting puts adults and kids at ease. Whether you are looking for eye exams, stylish sunglasses to protect your eyes from UV radiation, prescription eyewear to correct your vision or emergency eye care, we are here to help ensure your eyes are healthy.
We work with most major insurance providers and can help you optimize your coverage. When you come in to our family eye care center, ask about our Perfect Protection Plan, which provides a replacement pair of children’s glasses in the event they break due to manufacturer’s defect or treated lenses become scratched.
Call 561-790-7290 or contact us online to schedule an appointment at SeaView Eyecare. Our family eye care center in Wellington, Florida provides high-quality individualized care for you and your children.