The experienced optometrists at our eye exam center in Palm Beach County have put together a list of foods that will help keep your eyes healthy and strong. It is their belief that nutritious diet is the key to healthy eyes and clear vision. Research links vitamins C and E, zinc, lutein and zeaxanthin to reducing the risk of certain eye diseases.
- Leafy vegetables: Dark green leafy vegetables such as kale, spinach, broccoli, brussel sprouts and collard greens are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin. These important nutrients reduce the risk of chronic eye diseases such as pink eye, age-related macular degeneration and cataracts. Lutein also protects your retina from damage.
- Sweet potatoes: Like carrots, sweet potatoes and other bright orange vegetables and fruits, contain beta-carotene which promotes healthy vision.
- Oily fish: Studies show that omega-3 fatty acids are important for proper visual development and retinal function. Salmon is a power house of omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D, both of which promote optimal eye health. Sardines, tuna, mackerel and herrings also contain omega-3 acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are also excellent for dry eyes and for preventing styes on the eyelids.
- Eggs: Another important source of lutein and zeaxanthin, eggs are compared to multivitamins. Lutein-rich egg yolk reduces thinning of the macular (the area of the retina responsible for all of that texting you’re doing) which is responsible for the quality of your vision.
- Nuts: Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant found in nuts, protects cells in the eyes from free radicals, which break down healthy tissue. Almonds, hazelnuts and sunflower seeds are rich in vitamin E.
- Beans: Chickpeas, kidney beans and other lentils add zinc to your diet. Zinc, the “helper molecule” plays a vital role in bringing vitamin A from the liver to the retina to produce melanin, a protective pigment in the eyes. Pumpkin seeds, oysters and poultry are also a source of zinc.
Eyes need nutrition and regular care, just like any other part of your body. An eye-friendly diet and regular eye exams can help you maintain healthy eyes and clear vision and will prevent eye strain.
Complete Care for Your Family at Our Eye Exam Center in Palm Beach County
At SeaView Eyecare, we provide comprehensive eye services for your family. With extensive experience in adult and children’s eye issues, our board-certified optometrists offer high-quality care in a welcoming environment. Using state-of-the-art equipment, we can detect eye issues and tailor eye exams to match your lifestyle and vision care requirements. If you have a special hobby or interest and need protection from different types of light, we can prescribe the right eyewear.
Come and see our extensive selection of trendy sunglasses and prescription eyewear for adults and children in our location that is convenient to Wellington and Lake Worth residents. Parents love our Perfect Protection Plan which provides a replacement pair of glasses for a small fee, if they break due to manufacturer’s defect or the lenses become scratched while under the manufacturer’s warranty. We are credentialed with most major insurance carriers and can help you optimize your coverage benefits.
Our state-of-the-art SeaView optometric eye care center in Lake Worth provides comprehensive services for your whole family. We have invested in the latest diagnostic tools to provide you with prescriptions for the clearest vision as well as detect any eye problems. An extensive range of eye wear and sunglasses helps cater to diverse tastes. If wedo not have the frames you desire, we will be happy to order them for you! As contracted providers for most insurance plans we can help you make optimal use of your benefits to maintain healthy eyes.
Call SeaView Eyecare at 561-790-7290 or contact us online to schedule an appointment at our eye exam center in Palm Beach County.