2. Water is kryptonite for contact lens wearers. Do not wear contact lenses when you are in: the pool, the ocean, the river, the hot tub or the shower. No contacts in the shower. All water is “dirty.”
3. Wash your hands with soap and water and completely rinse and dry your hands before inserting or removing your contact lenses.
4. Don’t wear contacts when you’re sick; this is a perfect time to get “pink eye.”
5. For reusable contacts, replace your contact lens solution completely every time you put your contacts in the case. Never top off old solution.
6. Wondering how to clean your contact lens case? Clean your contact lens case with multipurpose contact lens solution and let it dry during the day. Replace your case monthly.
7. Replace your contacts as directed by your doctor. Lenses kept longer than approved by the manufacturer attract protein build-up, increasing the risk for infection.
8. The 5 second rule does not apply to soft contact lenses. If it lands in the sink or on the floor, discard it.
9. Never insert a contact lens with a tear or a chip in it. Although soft, it can scratch your eye.
10. For reusable contacts, you must rub the lens with multipurpose contact lens solution. Simply storing or rinsing the lens with solution does not remove protein build-up or debris.