Are you child’s glasses always smudged or dirty? The experienced opticians at our children’s eye care center in Wellington, Florida explain how to clean prescription glasses in 5 easy steps.
- Clean your hands: Dust and debris on your hands could easily transfer (and scratch) on to the lenses. Wash hands properly with a lotion-free soap or dishwashing liquid. Then dry them with a lint-free towel.
- Rinse your glasses with lukewarm water: Use a gentle stream of lukewarm tap water to safely wash away any dust and dirt. Never use hot water as it can damage the protective coating on some lenses.
- Use lotion-free soap and clean thoroughly: Apply a small dot of lotion-free dishwashing soap on your finger and gently rub each part. Make sure you clean the lenses as well as the nose pad, edge of the temples and the area where the lenses meet the frame.
- Rinse frame and lenses: Wash away all traces of soap to prevent smudging. Then gently shake the glasses to remove water. Inspect them to see if they are clean.
- Dry with a lint-free towel: Select a fresh, clean cotton towel that has not been washed with a fabric softener or dried with a dryer sheet. These substances can smear the lenses. Wipe gently and inspect glasses to ensure they are clean and dry. Any smudges or streaks can be removed with a clean, lint-free microfiber cloth.
You may also use eyeglass lens cleaner available at your children’s eye care center, and wipe dry with the soft cloth provided in the eyewear case. Use caution with some sprays available in retail opticals; they may contain chemicals that may strip lens treatments from your lenses. Stop by our office for a lint-free microfiber cloth to keep lenses clean when on the go. Note also that some lens coatings smudge easier than others. Ask our opticians about products that smudge less and are more resistant to scratching!
For more tips, consult our board-certified opticians at SeaView Eyecare.
Call 561-790-7290 or contact us online to schedule an appointment at our children’s eye care center in Wellington, Florida.