Being able to see is one of our most important senses. Visual processing is so important that it occupies more than 50% of the brain’s surface! This is why we need to take good care of our eyes. The more you learn about your eyes, the more fascinated you are likely to be.
Here are some interesting facts put together by the dedicated team at our eye care center in Palm Beach County, Florida.
Did you know?
- Your eyes as an adult are almost the same size as when you were born. Some scientists believe this is because even the slightest of changes could affect your vision. Small changes in the shape of the eye can and do however occur in childhood, often resulting in the need for eyeglasses.
- Your retinas see the world upside down. In addition to this, each half of the visual cortex of the brain receives one half of the image which is then pieced together to provide you with the whole picture.
- Your eyes are more unique than fingerprints. Each iris has a unique pattern of ridges and folds that is specific only to you! This has led to the popularity of iris-based authentication technology over fingerprints.
- You blink 17 times in a minute. That amounts to over 9 billion blinks in a year. The phrase “in the blink of an eye” comes from the fact that your eyes are the fastest muscle in your body.
- Your eyes can tell a tale about your health in general. The blood vessels that are visible when looking into your eyes demonstrate the impact that diabetes, high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol can have on your body. These same changes would also be apparent in the blood vessels in the rest of the body, only they’re covered by skin and not visible. In the eye, blood vessels are naked and provide great insight into your cardiovascular health. As a result these diseases unfortunately can also impact the health of your eyes and vision.
- 20/20 vision is not as good as it gets. Having 20/20 vision means you can read a letter at 20 feet that most humans are expected to see at that distance. Some people with exceptional vision can read a letter at 20 feet that most can only see when at 15 feet. Now that’s incredible vision!
- The composition of your tears is affected by your diet. Diets high in saturated fats result in tears that evaporate more rapidly, leaving the surface of the eye unprotected and resulting in burning, watering, and redness.
Bring your family to Seaview Eyecare center in Palm Beach. We offer comprehensive optometric services including eye exams and prescription eye wear for both adults and children. Our board-certified optometrists use the most up-to-date equipment to provide you with the most accurate diagnosis. We believe in educating you about eye health and treatment options so that you can maintain good vision for life.
Call 561-790-7290 to book an eye exam at our optometric eye care center where Wellington meets Lake Worth, Florida or schedule an appointment online.